You can browse our sites and download our mobile applications without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. You acknowledge that we transmit data to and store data in servers located in the United States which may have different data privacy laws than your home country, and you expressly consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
If you register for our services on the Site, we will collect your first and last name, email address, mobile phone number, and if the seller at an auction requires it, your mailing address and valid credit card information. We use this information to provide you our services.
We collect and store the following information:
- transactional information based on your activities on the sites (such as bidding, buying, selling, item and content you generate or that relates to your account);
- shipping, billing and other information you provide to purchase or ship an item;
- information, including personal information, you provide on community discussions, chats, dispute resolution, blogs, correspondence through our sites, and correspondence sent to us;
- other non-identifiable information from your interaction with our sites, services, content and advertising, including device ID, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- additional information we ask you to submit to authenticate yourself or if we believe you are violating site policies (for example, we may ask you to send us an ID or bill to verify your address, or to answer additional questions online to help verify your identity or ownership of an item you have purchased, an auction in which you have participated, or a bid that you have placed);
- information from other companies, such as demographic and navigation data; and
- other supplemental information from third parties (for example, if you incur a debt to Handbid, we will generally conduct a credit check by obtaining additional information about you from a credit bureau, as permitted by law).
- Transactional and other information from the use of your mobile device to access and use our services, such as bids, what auctions you’re associated with, purchase information, and geographic information.
When you register with Handbid, we will issue you a unique PIN code that will (along with your email address) uniquely identify you. In addition if you decide to “Bid” in any Handbid auction, you will be assigned a 3-digit Paddle ID for that auction. Within the auction, you will be (by default) identified to other bidders by your Paddle ID. You have the option to create your own alias to use instead of your Paddle ID. Your alias will be able to be viewed by any other participants in your auction, so choose your alias wisely. If you include identifiable information in your alias (such as you name), you will be identifiable.
We don’t sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services, content and advertising. If you don’t wish to receive marketing or research communications from us or participate in our surveys, simply indicate your preference by following the directions provided with the communication or advertisement. However, you should understand that any organization whose auction you opt to “Bid” in will have access to your personal information and may use that information for their own purposes.
We use information we collect from you, including your personal information, to provide you our services. Additionally, you agree that we may use your personal information to:
- provide customer support you request;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent, detect, and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- customize, measure and improve our services, content and advertising;
- tell you about our services and those of our corporate family, deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences; and
- compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
- contact you regarding transactions and fee collections to the telephone numbers or e-mail addresses you have provided us; and other uses as described when we collect the information;
- if you choose to receive push notifications, notify you if you are outbid in an auction;
- combine your data with other data we collect or obtain;
- aggregate non-identifiable data arising from the use of our site and services for our business purposes;
- use demographic data obtained through the service and third parties to improve our service.
Registration and sharing through third-party services.
We may offer single sign-on services that allow you to use third party login credentials to sign into Handbid. With your permission, Handbid may also transfer to Handbid profile information contained in your third-party profile. Handbid may also, for your use, enable you to import information about who you are connected to, as well as enable you to share information with those third-party sites. If you wish to discontinue such sharing, you will be able to do so through your preference page.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personal information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, respond to claims that a listing or other content violates the rights of others, or protect anyone’s rights, property, or safety. Such information will be disclosed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
We may also share your personal information with:
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations (such as fraud investigations, bill collection, credit card processors, affiliate and rewards programs and co-branded credit cards).
- Other third parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service), including the selling party that is offering goods through an auction;
- Law enforcement, governmental agencies, or authorized third-parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other Handbid user to legal liability. In such events, we will disclose information relevant to the investigation, such as name, city, state, ZIP code, telephone number, email address, User ID history, IP address, fraud complaints, bidding and payment history, and anything else we may deem relevant to the investigation.
Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy and our ability to keep the community free from bad actors, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement, other government officials, or other third parties without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity.
Information You Share on Handbid
Your auction Paddle ID is displayed throughout Handbid.com and within our mobile applications (and so available to the public), and is connected to all of your Handbid activity for that auction. Other people can see your bids and any associated comments. Notices sent to other community members about suspicious activity and policy violations on our sites refer to user IDs and PIN codes. If you access our sites from a shared computer or a computer in an internet café, certain information about you, such as your user ID, activity or reminders from Handbid, may also be visible to other individuals who use the computer after you.
Using Information from Handbid
Handbid enables you to share personal and financial information with the selling party in order to complete transactions and for the seller to collect payments. We encourage you to disclose your privacy preferences and respect the privacy of other users. We cannot guarantee the privacy or security of your information and therefore we encourage you to evaluate the privacy and security policies of the seller before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your information. For the avoidance of doubt, sellers will have access to your name, User ID, PIN code, email address and other contact, payment, and shipping information.
Privacy Obligations of the Seller
You agree to use user information only for:
- Handbid transaction-related purposes that are not unsolicited commercial messages;
- using services offered through Handbid™ (such as escrow, shipping, and fraud complaints), or
- other purposes that a Handbid expressly chooses.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are “session cookies,” meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session.
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of some of our sites or services.
- You may encounter cookies from third parties on certain pages of the sites that we do not control. (For example, if you view a web page created by another user, there may be a cookie placed by that web page.)
No Spam, Spyware or Spoofing
We and our users do not tolerate spam. Make sure to set your Handbid communication preferences so we communicate to you as you prefer. Sellers are not licensed to add other Handbid users, even a user who has purchased an item to their mailing list (email or physical mail) without their express consent. To report Handbid-related spam or spoof emails to Handbid, please forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You (including Sellers) may not use our communication tools to send spam or otherwise send content that would violate our User Agreement.
Your password or PIN is the key to your account. For passwords, we recommending using unique numbers, letters and special characters, and do not disclose your Handbid password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify Handbid and change your password.
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
You can see, review and change most of your personal information by signing on to Handbid.com. Generally, we will not manually modify your personal information because it is very difficult to verify your identity remotely. You must promptly update your personal information if it changes or is inaccurate. Upon your request, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable law. We do retain personal information from closed accounts to comply with law, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our Handbid User Agreement, and take other actions otherwise permitted by law.
Your information is stored on our servers located in the United States. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use lots of tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
Although our website is a general audience site, we restrict the use of our service to individuals who can legally contract. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.